Sunday, 13 November 2011

Palestinian UN bid goes to the Security Council (AP)

UNITED NATIONS ? The Palestinian bid for U.N. membership went to a divided Security Council Friday after its admissions committee approved a report saying there is no consensus among the 15 council nations.

For Palestine to become a U.N. member state, it needs the recommendation of the Security Council. That requires nine "yes" votes ? which the Palestinians don't appear to have ? and no veto by a permanent member. The U.S. has said it will veto a resolution supporting Palestinian membership if necessary.

Portugal's U.N. Ambassador Jose Filipe Moraes Cabral, the current council president, told reporters after a brief closed meeting that the council will examine the report and discuss possible future actions. He gave no timetable.

Riyad Mansour, the Palestinian U.N. observer, said the Palestinian leadership "will make a determination very quickly as to the next step forward in the U.N. system" after consultations with Arab leaders and supporters of its membership bid.

One option is for the Palestinians to ask their supporters in the Security Council to introduce a resolution recommending membership. Mansour noted that many countries, including Israel, did not gain U.N. membership on their first attempt and there was no shame in seeking a vote and failing.

Another option is for the Palestinians to go to the General Assembly, where there are no vetoes, and seek a resolution that would raise their status from a U.N. permanent observer to a nonmember observer state, which would put it on a par with the Holy See.

The admissions committee report said the council is divided among those who support Palestinian membership, those who can't support it now and therefore would abstain, and those who believe the application doesn't meet the criteria for membership and oppose it.

The report does not include the number or names of countries that would support, abstain, or oppose Palestinian membership.

When the admissions committee met last week, diplomats said China, Russia, Brazil, India, South Africa and Lebanon announced their support for Palestinian membership. France, Britain and Colombia announced they would abstain, and Bosnia later announced it would, too.

While Nigeria, Gabon, Germany and Portugal didn't announce a final position, diplomats said Nigeria and Gabon will likely vote "yes" and Germany and Portugal will abstain or vote "no."

Source: http://us.rd.yahoo.com/dailynews/rss/mideast/*http%3A//news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20111111/ap_on_re_us/un_un_palestinians_membership

blanche blanche powerball winning numbers powerball winning numbers gloria allred black friday ads 2011 black friday ads 2011

Friday, 11 November 2011

Coaching icon Paterno sacked in ignominy (Reuters)

NEW YORK (Reuters) ? In a country mad for college football, Joe Paterno -- known simply as "JoePa" -- represented almost a deity of the sport.

But the sterling reputation he built during almost five decades as head coach at Penn State University has been sullied by allegations that a long-time assistant coach sexually abused boys and school officials tried to cover it up.

Paterno, 84, a member of the College Football Hall of Fame, was ignominiously sacked late on Wednesday just hours after he said he would retire at the end of this season.

The end to the storied coaching career of Paterno, whose fans would have liked to have seen lead the team out for one last home game at Beaver Stadium, came amid a scandal so sordid it has been compared to the cases of pedophile priests in the Roman Catholic Church.

A titan as a coach, Paterno was unrivaled by his peers for the longevity of his success. Known for his thick glasses and navy windbreaker, he promoted the lofty notion that football players could excel on the field and in the classroom.

"Joe and (his wife) Sue are as close to deities as you can get in this town," said Nick Savereno, who attended Penn State and owns a sandwich shop near the campus at State College, the Pennsylvania town where he grew up.

The campus was in shock on Wednesday afternoon after the coach said he would resign. Students cried, some were angry and some called for the university president to resign. Supporters left flowers at Paterno's simple split-level home.

Then late Wednesday evening, students massed on campus after Paterno's sudden dismissal, fired after a meeting of the university's board of trustees who also fired Graham Spanier, president of Penn State for 16 years.

"Graham Spanier is no longer president of the university ... Joe Paterno is no longer the head football coach, effective immediately," John Surma, vice chairman of trustees, told a press conference, announcing the end of Paterno's reign.

Surma added, "We don't yet know all the facts and there are many details that are yet to be worked out."

Earlier in the day, Paterno's football team prepared for the final home game of the season on Saturday as they closed in on a place in the first-ever Big Ten Championship game.

Underlining what a big presence Paterno was in U.S. college football, the winner of the inaugural Big Ten final will get the Stagg-Paterno Championship Trophy named after Paterno and pioneering coach Amos Alonzo Stagg.

Fans of the Nittany Lions, named after mountain lions that once roamed near State College and the landmark Mount Nittany, would have wanted Paterno's final game to be a celebration like none in memory at Beaver Stadium.

Instead, Paterno was replaced after 46 years seasons by Tom Bradley, currently defensive coordinator, who will take over as interim head coach.

Such is the hoopla surrounding the team and its coach that students camp out at Beaver Stadium before home games in what locals call "Paternoville."

"I think that he really, really, really loves the school and he would do anything for the kids and for the team," said Gabby Laura, 18, after Paterno's announced his resignation. "I support him completely. I'm really sad to see him go."

As one of America's premier state colleges, Penn State has long used Paterno's image to help attract the best students and his likeness on its literature to convince alumni and donors to support their programs.

With 409 victories at Penn State, Paterno has won more games in big-time college football than any other coach in the history of a sport dating back to the late 19th century. Only a handful of other coaches, such as the late Paul "Bear" Bryant of the University of Alabama, are held in such reverence.

Paterno was head coach at Penn State since 1966 -- an incredible 46 seasons. But he had become very frail and had coached recently from the press box rather than the sidelines.

A beloved institution in Pennsylvania, he won national championships in 1982 and 1986 and survived calls that he leave the post because of his advanced age.

"Success with Honor" is the motto of Paterno's football program, which boasts high graduation rates among players.

SANDUSKY SCANDAL

Paterno's former long-time assistant coach Jerry Sandusky is accused of sexually abusing at least eight boys over a period of more than a decade. Two other university officials are charged with not reporting an incident in 2002 when Sandusky allegedly was seen sexually assaulting a child.

Lawyers for the men have said they maintain their innocence.

Paterno, who does not face any charges and was not a target of the criminal investigation, said he was informed of an incident involving Sandusky in 2002 and passed the information up the chain of command to the university's athletic director.

Paterno has been criticized for not following up or doing more to address the allegations, such as calling the police.

"This is a tragedy," he said in his retirement statement. "It is one of the great sorrows of my life. With the benefit of hindsight, I wish I had done more."

"I am absolutely devastated by the developments in this case. I grieve for the children and their families and I pray for their comfort and relief," he said.

The New York Times wrote that if Penn State were the Catholic Church, Paterno would be the Pope, surely aware of what was happening and enabling the cover-up.

"With his effective silence, Paterno was protecting not only himself but also 50 years of mythology that had been building up around him since he arrived at Penn State as an assistant during the Truman administration," The Times wrote.

Born in Brooklyn, Paterno played football at Brown University from 1946-49 before joining Penn State as an assistant coach in 1950. Sixteen years later he began building his prodigious resume as head coach.

Paterno steered the Nittany Lions to seven undefeated regular seasons and Penn State claimed three Big Ten Conference titles -- one solo in 1994 and as co-winners in 2005 and 2008.

He is also the all-time leader among college coaches with 24 post-season wins in 37 bowl game appearances and is the only coach to win the Rose, Sugar, Cotton and Orange bowls.

His team struggled in 2003. When he said he would consider retirement if his 2005 team did not improve, the Nittany Lions responded with an 11-1 record.

Paterno's program was known for churning out stars who went on to play in the National Football League. On his watch, Penn State produced 78 first-team All-Americans -- among them 10 linebackers coached by Sandusky at the school that became known as "Linebacker U."

More than 350 of Paterno's players have signed NFL contracts, with 32 of them drafted in the first round.

Paterno was also known for his philanthropy, giving more than $4 million to Penn State for scholarships, faculty endowments and construction.

He was voted into the College Football Hall of Fame in 2006 but his induction ceremony was delayed a year so he could recover from injuries suffered in a sideline collision.

(With reporting from State College by Ian Simpson and Edith Honan; Editing by Will Dunham and John O'Callaghan)

Source: http://us.rd.yahoo.com/dailynews/rss/crime/*http%3A//news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20111110/us_nm/us_usa_crime_coach_profile

lumpectomy robin williams blaine gabbert netflix stock jacksonville jaguars jacksonville jaguars home affordable refinance program

Rick Perry's Collapse Is The Best Thing That Could Have Happened ...

Within seconds of Rick Perry's onstage collapse last night, the political world had almost unanimously declared the time of death for the Texas Governor's presidential campaign.?

But Perry's spectacular meltdown may end up being the best thing that ever happened to his lagging White House bid.

In contrast to the Herman Cain camp, Perry's team has been a model for crisis management in the aftermath of the gaffe. The chagrined candidate has been making the morning show rounds today, displaying a startling humble and human side in the face of some pretty snarky talk show hosts.

Perry's media blitz is now starting to look a lot like a comeback tour. Perry's "I just made a mistake" message has actually set the candidate free, allowing him to shrug off his campaign talking points and show off the straight-talking humility and humor that has long been his strength as a politician.?

It helps that everyone knows, or at least fears, the feeling of public humiliation. Perry basically lived out the onstage-in-your-underwear nightmare last night ? his cringe-worthy moment evoked sympathy, which is no easy task for a presidential candidate. Moreover, the media's response to the gaffe has been particularly vicious, and is already provoking some to come to Perry's defense.

In the end, all press is good press. Perry's campaign has been on a downward spiral for months, and the debate brain melt at least puts the candidate back in the news. Perry's media blitz will boost his name recognition, which could easily translate to a bump in the polls, at least temporarily. But a little push may be all Perry needs to regain momentum as his campaign heads into the home stretch before the real voting begins.

Source: http://www.businessinsider.com/rick-perrys-collapse-is-the-best-thing-that-could-have-happened-to-him-2011-11

gunner kiel baby lisa baby lisa paranormal activity west virginia football west virginia football wvu football

Thursday, 10 November 2011

Russian and Chinese satellites going to Martian moon, plan to bring back some of the Red Planet

Russia just finished its Mars500 simulation, proving that man can handle the arduous task of traveling to and from the Red Planet -- or at least it proved man can live in a confined space for 520 days with dodgy internet. However, Moscow needs to know a bit more about Mars itself before shooting citizens to our planetary neighbor, so it's sending a satellite to collect soil samples from one of its moons. The Russian satellite, named Phobos-Grunt, launched earlier today with the Chinese satellite Yinhuo-1 onboard as well. Both are bound for the Martian moon Phobos and are scheduled to arrive in September of 2012, whereupon Yinghuo-1 will be dispatched into orbit around Mars and Phobos-Grunt will begin maneuvering for its final descent onto the moon's surface. After landing, a robotic arm will examine some extra-terrestrial soil on site and gather 200 grams more to fire back to terra, where it's scheduled to touch down in Kazakhstan by August of 2014. If humans can get some Martian dirt back to Earth without incident, shouldn't be hard to do the same thing with a man, right?

Russian and Chinese satellites going to Martian moon, plan to bring back some of the Red Planet originally appeared on Engadget on Tue, 08 Nov 2011 22:48:00 EDT. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink   |  sourceBBC  | Email this | Comments

Source: http://www.engadget.com/2011/11/08/russian-and-chinese-satellites-going-to-martian-moon-plan-to-br/

rumpelstiltskin mark herzlich malawi malawi angela davis angela davis zombie apocalypse

Wednesday, 9 November 2011

Poor Barry! (Powerlineblog)

Share With Friends: Share on FacebookTweet ThisPost to Google-BuzzSend on GmailPost to Linked-InSubscribe to This Feed | Rss To Twitter | Politics - Top Stories Stories, RSS Feeds and Widgets via Feedzilla.

Source: http://news.feedzilla.com/en_us/stories/politics/top-stories/159244554?client_source=feed&format=rss

sarah palin espn body issue ijustine visionary guy kawasaki jani lane the exorcism of emily rose

PFT: Lovie says 8-point spread motivated Bears

New York Giants v New England PatriotsGetty Images

The Albert Haynesworth experiment in New England clearly wasn?t working. ?Bill Belichick decided to cut his losses Tuesday before Haynesworth became any more expensive.

When Haynesworth joined the Patriots, he took a pay cut in base salary from $5.4 million to $1.5 million. ?He had the chance to make that money back in playing time incentives.

He won?t make any of the money back now.

Jason Cole of Yahoo! Sports reported in August that Haynesworth would have received a $1 million bonus if he played in 20% of the team?s snaps for the year. Almost $3 million more was available if he reached playing time incentives beyond that.

None of that money should be paid to Haynesworth. ?Using snap counts from ESPNBoston.com?s Mike Reiss, Haynesworth has played roughly 30% of the team?s snaps during the first nine games. ?Cutting Haynesworth now should allow the Patriots to avoid any further payment because that percentage should dip below 20% by year?s end.

Haynesworth will be subject to waivers, but we?d be shocked if any team claimed him.

In the end, the Patriots wasted a fifth-round pick (in 2013), $1.5 million, and way too much time and energy on Haynesworth.

Let?s not pretend, however, that this was a financial move. If Haynesworth was playing well, the Patriots would gladly pay him all the money.

He wasn?t playing well at all, which means Haynesworth will go down as yet another recent failed defensive personnel move by Bill Belichick.

Source: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/11/08/lovie-smith-bears-were-motivated-by-being-eight-point-underdogs/related/

the walking dead the walking dead turkey map walter isaacson walter isaacson zodiac killer battlefield 3 review